1. allegory- An expression, by means of symbolic fictional characters and actions, of truths about human conduct and experience.
2. terza rima- An Italian form iambic poetry having sets of three lines, the middle line of each set riming with the first and last of the succeeding: ababcbcdc. It was invented by Dante.
3. epic poem-A long narrative poem with an exalted style, theme, and hero.
3 divisions of the Divine Comedy
3 types of sins
incontinence- lack of control over our passions and desires
violence- vicious and fierce behavior
fraud- deception, trickery or deceit
Can you find more symbols of 3?
1. Dante- the author and the main character
2. Virgil- Dante's guide through the Inferno and the Purgatorio. The real historical Virgil was long-dead even in Dante's time. Dante, himself a poet, had admired Virgil's poetry greatly and so "reincarnates" him to be his guide on the journey. Virgil represents reason.
3. Beatrice- while not actually a character in the Inferno ( she does not appear until the Paradisio) her influence is felt throughout the whole of the Divine Comedy. She represents divine love or faith.